Re: Problem distilling large Frame file (UNIX)

Subject: Re: Problem distilling large Frame file (UNIX)
From: Paul Inbar <inbar -at- ELRON -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:14:24 +0200

Hi Mark,

I had a similar problem once, under Windows 95, running the distiller on a
postscript file generated from Frame 5.5. I'm not sure the problems are the
same but I'll give it a shot.

My files weren't as big as yours, but what I think happened was that the
postscript file I had generated with print-to-postscript contained some sort of
character combination that made the distiller abort.

To get around the problem I watched the distiller in progress and saw what page
it was distilling when it aborted. I then removed that page, printed to
postscript again, and then tried the distiller. That time it worked.

I then examined the offending page for anything suspicious (unusual formatting,
graphics, etc.) I think in the end I had no choice but to remove something (it
was a while back and I don't remember exactly what I had to do. It wasn't too
drastic, though) and then reenter the page and print the postscript file
again. I think at this point you probably will even be able to use the print
to PDF command again.

In any event, good luck. Let us know what happened.

Paul Inbar
Elron Software
Haifa, Israel

Mark Dempsey wrote:

> I've been trying to generate a very large pdf (23M) using Frame 5.5
> without much success.
>
> Here's what I've tried so far:
>
> 1. Print to PDF. (Obscure error condition terminates)
>
> 2. Print to Postscript (works), then distill to pdf (generates another
> obscure error, or a corrupt pdf file).
>
> 3. Made all files (literally about 100) MIF, then saved the Miffed files
> as Frame files, generated postscript and tried to distill. Same results
> as #2.
>
> I've written to Adobe tech support but thought perhaps a list member
> might see something I've missed. (BTW, I'm using Solaris 2.6 on a Sun
> Ultra-1 to distill).
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> %%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: L21 ]%%
>
> Stack:
> 0
>
> %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
> %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> -- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
> --
> -- Mark Dempsey
> -- Technical Publications
> -- Objective Systems Integrators