preparing Word files for docutech production

Subject: preparing Word files for docutech production
From: Lynda Baxter <lbaxter -at- COMPUSENSE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:03:48 -0500

Do any of you produce hard copy manuals using the Xerox docutech? I'm trying
to establish a workable process with a local printer and have run into some
problems. I'm composing in Word 98, and printing draft copies to an HP
Laserjet 4si.

First, I installed the printer driver they supplied (AdobePS 4.2 Adobe
PostScript Printer Driver), and then printed to file to create the .prn
files. The docutech output from these files was much too light (particularly
the screen captures!), and page formatting and kerning changed from my
original Word doc files.

Next, I sent the printer the original Word doc file. They printed to the
docutech directly from their Word software. The output was much better, and
the original formatting was retained.

However, it's my understanding that it's supposed to be better to send the
postscript file rather than the Word doc. That way the printer doesn't need
the authoring software. How do you get around the problem, though, with the
document reformatting when the postscript file is produced? How can I print
and proof draft copies on our inhouse HP, and then confidently proceed to
creating a postscript file that won't reformat?

Any expertise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Lynda Baxter
Technical Writer
Compusense Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=