Re: Imagine you teach

Subject: Re: Imagine you teach
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:02:00 -0600

I would teach the principles of programming, specifically object oriented, rapid evolutionary development. I think that Orr and Associates has a model of this at their site.

The reason I would teach programming principles is because it would give my students a foundation in the technology which, most likely, they will be involved with. From what I gather from my conversations with other technical writers, we are in too large a measure, illiterate about even basic programming principles (as are many programmers who haven't had the benefit of formal education or a rigorous self-education). The recent thread about the difference between a design doc (or docs) and a requirements doc exemplifies this--No put down intended here! Until this past November, when I started to educate myself on the development process, I hadn't a clear idea of the difference myself.

The second reason I would choose programming principles is that trough it I could also teach basic technical writing issues which would apply to on-line help as well as other modes of technical communications.

Leonard Porrello
ES&S
Engineering Scribe