Re: The First Two Questions (Was: Design Document)

Subject: Re: The First Two Questions (Was: Design Document)
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:00:00 -0600

The document that you describe below is a requirements document. In the best of worlds, it is created by ex-developer, techno-savvy marketeers.

In contrast, in orthodox development circles, developers are responsible for the design document since they are the ones who will make the product. In most places, I think, if developers were given a "design" document and were told that it had input from all of the groups that you list below, they would run screaming from the building. All groups may, however, review and use the design document.

Leonard Porrello
ES&S
Engineering Scribe

From: apoos
My concept of a design document is a document that all groups provide input
to and all groups use to do their jobs. In my software development
environment, these groups include Marketing, Development, Documentation,
Test/QA, Customer Support, and Training. Is this totally out of line with
what other companies do?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000