Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:47:00 -0600

David,

I do not want to rebut your assertion, but I am very interested in any concrete evidence you have to support it. I wonder if the problem doesn't have more to do with display quality (as several people have asserted). And if it is a display quality issue, how do younger generations overcome it?

I don't see that the problem is with organization. I can read very modernist texts (such as Roland Barth's _S/Z_ for those of you who care), which do not flow like realist material, which are very disjointed, without the quality of trouble I have with on-line reading, but I still much prefer reading hard copy.

Leonard Porrello
ES&S
Engineering Scribe

----------
From: David_Dubin
There is a real answer to that question, and it deals with the difference
between generations of adult learners. My generation (baby boomers) and
those older than I were trained to from a sheet of paper, with the book as
the ultimate learning device. The "flow" of a book is comfortable for us
and there is an holistic relationship between the words on a page and the
pages in a book. Reading from a screen is disjointed and does not permit
the same flow as a book.

I need to review work and edit on paper. I can scan information
on screen, but not "learn" it or study it in depth.

Younger generations are more accustomed to the monitor and to seeing
information scroll along, so "reading" information and learning from PDFs
on screen is much easier.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000