Re: Word 97 problem solved

Subject: Re: Word 97 problem solved
From: Stephen Nay <snay -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 19:36:22 -0700

I think you'll find that the culprit is fastsave, not autosave. Word's
autosave feature simply writes a copy of your file out to a temp
directory/file every n minutes (whatever interval you set). However,
fastsave only saves your changes to the original document, with index
information about where you made those changes. Thus a files can grow
incredibly large, because it contains the text of the original document, all
of Word's document overhead and formatting information, plus all your
changes, plus the index information. I think that if you have fastsave on
with autosave, Word uses the fastsave format for the autosave backup files.
Turn off fastsave (you probably won't notice any difference in save speed
anyway) and leave on autosave, or risk losing your work.

Stephen Nay

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=