Re: Somewhat off topic: problem accessing internal web site

Subject: Re: Somewhat off topic: problem accessing internal web site
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:08:37 -0600

> Hello.
>
> I'm currently working on creating an online style guide for our company.
> My
> first task was to create a possible Contents page for the style guide in
> HTML. Ok, so far so good, even for a novice. When I was finished, I tried
> accessing our internal documentation group's web page to see where I can
> put
> this information and to find some links to add to my project. Well, I
> can't
> access our web page through Internet Explorer (or Opera which I loaded
> just
> to see if another browser might work). I can, however, access the page if
> go through Windows Explorer, locate the network directory, and click on
> the
> index.htm file. From there, I can navigate just fine.
>

> Thanks for any information you can give me.
>
> Dina L. Marroquin

Not knowing your configuration and location of files, I'm guessing that the
web page on is a machine other than yours. I'm also guessing that you are
attempting to access the page as a intranet page (i.e. as http:
//nodename/directory/page.htm). Because you can load the page as a file,
you could try the file->open>\\nodename\directory\page.htm.

I'm also suspecting that problem could be one of the following:

- You are not recognized as a valid user on the server machine.
- The directory on the server has an alias (which means you must
use the alias not the actual directory name/path)
- The particular web root directory has restricted privileges
(configurable through IIS or whatever the server management
software is)
- Try adding the server address to your LMHosts file and then
executing an NBTstat -R command to purge and reload the remote
cache name table (however, because you can mount the drive, I
don't think this will do much).

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://maps.intergraph.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=