Ideal Job (Was: job dissatisfaction)

Subject: Ideal Job (Was: job dissatisfaction)
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:22:54 -0500

Greetings!

The concept of the "ideal job" has come up in this "job dissatisfaction"
thread, and I've got some thoughts that apply to Anon as well as anyone else
who might be listening...

David Dubin said:
> And yes, the ideal job does exist. I know, because I have the
> ideal job for me. It meets all of the criteria I have set to make me
> happy, make me productive, and make me financially secure --and money

I believe in the "ideal job" concept (I believe in Santa Claus too, if that
shows you were my mindset's at), but I think even in the ideal job, you're
bound to run into some brambles. You'll have boring days, impossibly
frustrating projects, and the occasional moron who marks "WRONG YOU TWIT!"
in your draft in pencil. These little pitfalls make the wonderful parts of
your ideal job even better. If it was paradise every day, I would get bored
out of my tree. I need the adrenaline rush that frustration and indignation
so readily provide. It keeps me awake and focused on what I need to get
done.

As long as the idealness of the job outnumber the trials, you're doing
great. But you gotta take the bad with the good, 'cause one can't exist
without the other.

I think our educational system's marketing department programs these
falsehoods in our heads. They keep pounding "THE DREAM JOB" concept into our
brains, but they don't tell us that there are going to be days where you
don't think it's even worth chewing through the ropes in the morning. I know
it was a rude awakening for me!
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=