Reasons for Contracting (spawn from Job (Di)Satisfaction)

Subject: Reasons for Contracting (spawn from Job (Di)Satisfaction)
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:32:32 -0500

Greetings!

The topic of contracting has come up in the Job (Di)Satisfaction thread and
it made me think about a couple of conversations I've been having lately.

My current contract has almost expired, and come January, I'll be back out
on the market looking for new work. Some people have asked me why I persist
in being a contractor and go through the hassle and uncertainty of job
hunting at the end of the contract.

My first response is MONEY! The money/tax breaks are certainly worth the
effort of staying freelance. But when a potential client asks me this
question, I'm not sure what to answer. I know that some employers feel that
freelancers/contractors will "jump ship" at the first sign of trouble, but
I'm not like that. The only thing that would cause me to leave is if the
situation were so intolerable that I wouldn't be able function properly. If
it came to that, I would leave the position, whether I was contracting or
not.

I like the contracting biz 'cause I find it gives me more freedom and
control over what I'm doing, the money is great, I get more responsibility,
and the challenge keeps me on my toes.

But I get the feeling that the employers are looking for reasons that don't
make them nervous. How do you justify being a contractor to an employer?

--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=