Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Niki Dow <NikiDow -at- RINGWOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:59:02 -0000


I think it may depend on which country you're in. I know it as a hash
symbol (in the UK). It isn't (normally) known as the number symbol inthe UK
since it isn't used to identify digits (e.g, #5, #141 etc.) we usually use
the abbreviation No. (e.g., No. 5).

I've heard it called the pound sign which I equate to the fact that I think
that on some keyboards it is positioned in the Shift 3 position which is
where our pound (sterling currency) symbol is located.

Hope this helps and doesn't hinder!

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian, Flaherty <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: 23 November 1998 16:53
Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?

>Have heard it called the number sign and the pound sign. I think number
>sign is the correct term (but may want to view some other opinions).
>Brian Flaherty
>ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: RE: Réf. : A Theory at the End of the Rainbow?
Next by Author: Re: A Different Tread about Thread Names
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads