Re: Securing Help Files

Subject: Re: Securing Help Files
From: "LRMBA Assoc." <manualwriter -at- USA -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:55:56 -0600

At 03:39 PM 11/20/98 -0500, Robert Bennett responsed to Jeff:
>Jeff,
>
>I know of nothing like password access, but you could compile different
>versions of the same Help using "build tags."
>
>You could also try putting the sensitive information in a different Help
>file that could be omitted for some customers. In this latter case, you
>could call topics in the second ("external") file from within the main
>file, so the structure would be invisible to your users.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Bob
>
>> ----------
>> From: Jeff Barnes[SMTP:jlb -at- MDTSOFT -dot- COM]
>> I am researching the following question:
>>
>> Can you restrict access to topics within a help system?
<clip>

To which I add, Jeff, it can be done if I understand your goal correctly,
but not easily if you are not into scripting. Depending on your platform,
you can write macros/scripts to implement a password protection scheme--but
I can't imagine why anyone would really want to do it this way. It seems
it would be more effectively done, as Robert suggested, using build tags so
that your audience only gets what they really need.
Seth Buffington, Engineering Technology Writer
LRMBA **mailto:manualwriter -at- usa -dot- net** (972) 928-2578
"Email: A mode of common expression, sometimes slurred" --S.B.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=