Re: Consultants--ethical question

Subject: Re: Consultants--ethical question
From: Nick Marino <Rhetonic -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:38:27 -0600

Peter:

Please accept my apologies for openly chastising you on this list for
what you
meant as a light-hearted joke. I am sorry. I should have emailed you
privately, if I felt the need to express so pejoratively what I thought,
or
couched my concerns in less offensive terms on the list.

I knee-jerk responded to what I perceived as just another condescending
sarcastic remark in an environment filled with such discourse, discourse
that is so
oppressive to me. (Just browse the archives of this or any other list
and
you'll see what I mean.)

While I still disagree with your analysis of "the consultant," I regret
that I
brought myself down to the level of expression that I so detest in
expressing
my disagreement.

Hope that you can forgive my asininity, sir.

Peter Collins wrote:

> "Consultants--Ethical" an "oxymoron"?
> I am a consultant.
> I am ethical
> I like the joke. I am either big enough to take it, or too stupid to
> understand why I shouldn't.
> I feel for anyone who unwittingly causes offence in public, suffers the
> embarassment of discovering what they have done, and then, further, is
> humilated by a public hurt more pejorative than warranted and infinitely
> more personally directed than their original (possible) lapse in
> sensitivity or good taste.
> I have long lived with the wise old saw (a two-handed cross-cut,
> actually) that a consultant is one who borrows your watch to tell you the
> time - and keeps the watch!
> But it's true! Of course. It is the basis of much excellent consulting.
> Naturally, as good consultants all, we would never take any such story at
> face value - we go further and investigate the facts behind the facts.
> Did you know that the client was running out of time to catch a train?
> Had recently been blinded? Had a new braille watch but was not fully
> confident of his reading of it? Still had his old non-braille watch? Was
> delighted to be told the time (and offered a lift to the station), realised
> that he HAD got the time right and could manage the braille watch perfectly
> well, and so gave the old watch to his samaritan?
> No?
> Well, we've all got room to grow.
> Peter Collins, VIVID Management Pty Ltd,
> 26 Bradleys Head Road, MOSMAN 2088, Australia
> +61 2 9968 3308, fax +61 2 9968 3026, mobile +61 (0)18 419 571
> Management Consultants and Technical Writers
> email: peter -dot- collins -at- bigfoot -dot- com ICQ#: 10981283
> web pages: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/pcollins/
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

begin:          vcard
fn:             Nicholas Marino
n:              Marino;Nicholas
org:            Freelance Word Works
adr;dom:        ;;;Bishop;TX;;
email;internet: Rhetonic -at- gte -dot- net
title:          Owner
tel;work:       512.584.2912
tel;fax:        512.584.3121
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0