Consultants--ethical question

Subject: Consultants--ethical question
From: Peter Collins <peter -dot- collins -at- BIGFOOT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:33:36 +1100

"Consultants--Ethical" an "oxymoron"?
I am a consultant.
I am ethical
I like the joke. I am either big enough to take it, or too stupid to
understand why I shouldn't.
I feel for anyone who unwittingly causes offence in public, suffers the
embarassment of discovering what they have done, and then, further, is
humilated by a public hurt more pejorative than warranted and infinitely
more personally directed than their original (possible) lapse in
sensitivity or good taste.
I have long lived with the wise old saw (a two-handed cross-cut,
actually) that a consultant is one who borrows your watch to tell you the
time - and keeps the watch!
But it's true! Of course. It is the basis of much excellent consulting.
Naturally, as good consultants all, we would never take any such story at
face value - we go further and investigate the facts behind the facts.
Did you know that the client was running out of time to catch a train?
Had recently been blinded? Had a new braille watch but was not fully
confident of his reading of it? Still had his old non-braille watch? Was
delighted to be told the time (and offered a lift to the station), realised
that he HAD got the time right and could manage the braille watch perfectly
well, and so gave the old watch to his samaritan?
No?
Well, we've all got room to grow.
Peter Collins, VIVID Management Pty Ltd,
26 Bradleys Head Road, MOSMAN 2088, Australia
+61 2 9968 3308, fax +61 2 9968 3026, mobile +61 (0)18 419 571
Management Consultants and Technical Writers
email: peter -dot- collins -at- bigfoot -dot- com ICQ#: 10981283
web pages: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/pcollins/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=