Re: Can strong process create writers?

Subject: Re: Can strong process create writers?
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:52:55 -0500

Simon North writ:

>...but the process can also stifle all
>development if it is too strong (we learn by our mistakes?).
>
>I have seen systems where the process was so strong that it
>became an end in itself. Just as in quality systems where the
>system takes over control, success is determined by how well you
>follow the process, and the writer can lose sight completely
>of the original 'product'.

One of my staff came from an environment in which it mattered more that
the process was followed than the result was useful. It's why she left.

I've done a little study of the Capability Maturity Model, and one of
the principles I got from it was that a mature process is not only
flexible, but changes readily to accommodate improvement. Seems to me
that such a process, by definition, could not be an end unto itself.

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=