Re: ANON: (was ANON: Mgmt, references, samples, supervisor probl em)

Subject: Re: ANON: (was ANON: Mgmt, references, samples, supervisor probl em)
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:35:30 -0500

I experienced a similar situation, in which there was bad blood between
a manager and I (although in our case the blame was 50/50). I'm also on
the other side now, as a manager. I advise the following:

>Should I speak openly to my supervisor about the fact that I am
>looking for something else?

Speaking openly with your supervisor could yield one of two things. (a)
S/he could take this as the opportunity to fire you or(b) S/he could be
greatly relieved and do what s/he can to help you in your search.
Unless this manager is vindictive, I'll bet s/he will choose (b) --
firing someone, for any reason, is no fun, and is fraught with worry of
litigation.

>How can I acquire samples of my work here?

If you choose not to speak with your supervisor, then please do not take
samples of any proprietary work. Others have suggested writing other
similar but non-proprietary material; it's good advice. If you choose
to speak with your supervisor, then you can ask for permission to take
samples.

>How do I explain this situation in an interview, if they want
>to know whether my supervisor would give me a good reference,
>or why I don't want to use him as a reference?

It's bad form for someone to ask for a reference from your current
employer. It shows great insensitivity to you. Remain resolute -- do
not grant this permission. If they want to know whether the supervisor
would give a good reference, be honest. When they ask you to explain,
give a short, but honest, reply. Brevity is key. Let them press for
details. You should answer all questions honestly. The only thing you
should offer if they don't ask for it is an explanation of what you've
learned and how you've grown and how therefore you would not repeat the
same unfortunate behavior.

Good luck!

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

How does one interview for one job if they don't
want their current employer to know? This goes back to question 1 about
whether I should just be up front with my supervisor about my
intentions.

Thanks.

Message forwarded on request. Please
reply on list.