Word and TOC levels: Summary

Subject: Word and TOC levels: Summary
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:38:05 -0700

Well, my problem appears to be solved. Thanks to all of you for your
assistance (Denise Fritch, Kimberly Wilhelm, George Mena, Andy Dugas and
Ned Bedinger).

I think the key turned out to be getting rid of the old TOC and starting
from scratch, which is a thing you'd think I'd have remembered after
some of my trials and tribulation upgrading Framemaker earlier this
year! Here are the instructions/Ned Bedinger:

It sounds like a problem you can solve:

1. Delete your table of contents. Do this because TOC fields can get
corrupted and will misbehave inexplicably. Best to start with a new one
when they act in unexpected ways.

2. Insert a new TOC field On the Insert menu, Fields > Index and
Tables > TOC

3. Select the new TOC. To do this, drag the cursor over the beginning
or
end of the TOC. (it will turn gray when selected).

4. Press SHIFT + F9 to toggle from Field Code results (i.e., the TOC)
Field Code (i.e. something like {TOC \* Mergeformat})

5. Edit the TOC field to say "TOC \o "1-6" \* mergeformat. The segment
'\o "1-6" ' is where you set the level of detail for headings included.

6. Select the TOC field and press SHIFT + F9. The field returns to
Field
Results mode, displays TOC.

7. Select the TOC, press F9 to update it. The update dialog appears.

8. At the update dialog, request that it update all, note just page
numbers.

I did all of this, then went to Insert > Index and Tables > Options,
where I removed the default rankings and entered the level ranking for
my document. Click Okay, twice and it you have the levels you require.

Thanks to you all, once again you've come through.

BJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=