Re: An ugly job incident (long)

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident (long)
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:59:42 -0700

Among the bizarre things that Barry K said were:

> > Do you think I was wrong to throw away notes and old edited documents?
> >
> YES! Old notes and documents are the property of your employer. You
> created
> the notes on company time, doing company business. If you wanted a copy
> for
> yourself - well that is debatable. But deleting old documents from the
> server, and throwing away old documents, friend, you don't have a leg to
> stand on.
>
> If I ever checked references and the reference said: They were a great
> technical writer, but they deleted documents from the server just before
> they were laid off."
>
> Woo Nellie!, you can guess the outcome...
Whenever I leave a job, I always make an extra effort to do the courteous
and correct thing which is to get rid of all my old files, notes, draft
reviews and so forth that are useless and should be thrown out. I consider
it rude to leave all that crap to the next person who gets my office space,
or whoever has to maintain source files. You're being punished for doing the
right thing.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=