Re: Opinion

Subject: Re: Opinion
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:59:52 -0700

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 08:59:16 -0400, David Hirschler wrote:

>At my former job, we chose FrameMaker over Word. Our documents were about
>250 pgs. each, consisting of several chapters. There were quite a few
>graphics as well. We had a lot of trouble managing the books in Word. We
>felt that the advantages of Frame far outweigh the advantages of Word.
>Frame has a learning curve, but then so does (seemingly each version of)
>Word. Word might be less expensive, but that is a short-term view. Frame
>saves you a bundle in long-term productivity.

This has been hashed out many, many times in this list. As always, it comes
down to the same thing: the right tool for the job. Word's primary design
goal is not as a layout/publishing package. Frame's 'raison d'etre' is. To
me, it's the difference between using a hammer and handsaw, versus a nailgun
and circular saw to (pardon the pun) frame a house.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

How many times, must I stand in the waves of this crashing sea?
How many times, must I forgive all the hurt that's been done to me?
Let the jury go? Set the sinner free?
Seventy times seven...
- White Heart, "Seventy Times Seven"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=