What do interviewers read? (was: US Professional issues)

Subject: What do interviewers read? (was: US Professional issues)
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:58:58 -0400

Greetings!

[a whole lota snipping going on]
> There seems to be a real inability of those reading resumes to
> tell whether the person is qualified to do the job.
> In one phone interview, I was asked if I had really done all the things I
> had listed on my resume. I mean, if I hadn't, would I have admitted it?

I was just thinking about the many interviews I've sat through in my career,
and I started taking a look at my resumé. It's getting a tad long (about 3
pages). I've tried trimming it down, but it's getting a bit unruly.

When I think about the interview process, a potential client/employer always
asks me to tell him/her about my work experience. Just before I'm about to
speak, I always think "Didn't they read my resumé? It's all there. I'm just
going to repeat what I wrote!"

So my question is: how important is a description of my work for each client
on my resumé? Is it better to keep a resumé as brief as possible (bullet
form) and explain it in the interview, or is it better to put a brief
description of what I did for each client? What is it that an interviewer
would rather see?
--
Be seeing you,

John David Hickey
Lone Technical Writer
--
Farabi Technology Corporation
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com
514-332-3455

Anything not nailed down is mine. Anything I can pry up is not nailed
down.
--

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=