Re: Technical vs. other writing

Subject: Re: Technical vs. other writing
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:48:03 -0400

Greetings!

> Sella Rush wondered <<does anyone find that technical writing makes
> his/her other writing better? worse? more difficult?>>

Like Geoff said, tech writing is a whole other mindset, so when I sit down
to write my poetry or fiction, I have to approach it from a completely
different angle. Even then, I find that I'm constantly editing and
re-editing myself to keep it clean, clear, and precise.

But if I'm laying out a different type of book, I find the tech writing
influences it tremendously. For example, I'm responsible for producing the
programme for the next play being put on by the Lakeshore Players Theatre
Company (I'm an actor in my spare time). When I laid the programme out the
first time, it had a definite User's Guide look about it. I had to go back
over it and adjust the layout a tad to suit the audience (a truism wherever
you go, I guess). However, the final product will be clean and easy to read.
That's the tech writing influence at work.

So my vote would be that tech writing improves my other writing
projects/styles. <cough> Ummm... I feel it necessary to mention that it does
not necessarily affect my email writing. <nervous look>
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=