Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation

Subject: Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:14:52 -0400

Dear "Tech Writer"-

There have been so many helpful, wise comments here on the forum that it's
hard to add anything more useful. It is interesting, but also sad, that so
many of us can relate to some or all of what you are going through. I hope
it helps all of us a little to hear about the various solutions people have
tried.

I just wanted to add two pieces of advice:

1. Take care of yourself. You say the stress is getting to you (and many
team members). No doubt it is; it sounds like a very toxic work environment.
But you need to be sure to take time for yourself (at home and for small
breaks during the day). Also, be sure to try to fit in exercise at least 3-4
times a week.

I know, it's hard to find time! But getting out and enjoying your favorite
activity (mine's walking) even 20-30 minutes a day can really clear you mind
and give you some objectivity that is hard to find when you have been
sitting at a desk for hours on end dealing with problems. Not only that,
exercise is a great stess reliever, and it will help you sleep better, too.

We have VERY mind-intensive, but inactive jobs. It's important that we all
take time out to use our bodies, not just our brains. Besides, you might
just find that using your body makes your brain work better. (I've thought
of many solutions to problems while I am out walking.)

2. Many people have wisely stated that you need to keep your emotions out of
this problem. However, I think that it is often very easy for us to keep
anger internalized, when actually we should be expressing it--but
appropriately! Yelling, throwing things, etc. expresses anger
inappropriately and isn't constructive. But explaining to your boss/your
co-worker's boss/etc. that you can't get your work done for x/y/z reasons
AND this is making you frustrated/angry/etc. might get their attention a
little better.

You know, a lot of us when we're pushed hesitate to push back, but that
might be required here. It might not be in your nature, but it might be the
best thing you can do (and it might make you feel better). It's often easier
for us to tell our friends or spouses about things that have made us angry,
but often, we should really be telling the person who is making us angry.

Good luck with your situation. As you can see, many of us have been there,
and we are all pulling for you! If you get a chance, please let us know how
you are doing in a few weeks.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer