Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation

Subject: Re: Challenging and oppressive SME situation
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:54:11 -0500

In Roman Catholic theology, it is the damned that damns him or herself. He
or she freely chooses the road to hell.

It seems that Name W. has been turning the other cheek for quite some time.
And arguably, by not pursuing justice, she has even turned--and offered--the
other cheek.

I *really* like the chairs and table metaphor, but this isn't about egos,
souls, and damnation. It is not about making inanimate objects beautiful. It
is about getting a job done efficiently, professionally, and even with some
pleasure. The most gregarious extension of charity entails an unrestrained
promotion of truth. The DemonSME harasses Name W. And even though it is not
"sexual harassment," harassment, nevertheless, it is. And as such, it needs
to be dealt with appropriately. This doesn't mean that vengeance needs to be
take out upon the DemonSME, but it does mean that her unjust behaviors need
to be brought to light. However, the charitable intention is well guided.
The DemonSME can be confronted gently and in such a way that Name W. isn't
making her own ego a central player. The focus should be on the behavior and
how it affects the work, not on Name W., not on the DemonSME. The DemonSME
is not much different than, perhaps, a poorly functioning application that
interferes with smooth and economical production.

Leonard Porrello
Compaq, Telecom Solutions Division
Pubs, Omaha
402.384.7390