Re: advice requested...

Subject: Re: advice requested...
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:23:20 +0100

Scott,
If you get a good offer, take it!! Consider, (I assume a "standard" day is
8 hours) you've been working between 25 and 50% extra for no extra pay; if
this is long term then you are effectively cutting your salary by that
amount. No matter how good the environment etc is, it seems that the
company is taking advantage. Over the years I've worked where overtime was
and wasn't paid and both worked quite well.

Where it was paid it was usually project based (somthing had to be
finished by..), not continuous. Continuous overtime indicated poor
planning/more staff required. I once clocked up 300+ hours overtime in a
month - money was nice but my wife claimed she never saw me for the whole
month!

Where it's been unpaid it has again been project based and short time with
balancing benefits - flexitime etc. This is the situation where I
currently work. Quite a large company but very relaxed and everyone's happy
as long as the work is done. While overtime is unpaid (idea is if it's
planned properly it shouldn't be needed), if something comes up that is
unscheduled etc then paid overtime can be authorised if deemed necessary.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=