Re: Getting started in tech writing

Subject: Re: Getting started in tech writing
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:38:33 GMT

>I have
>often thought that an appropriate title for many of us is "documentation
>engineer" - especially if we are designing docs from the ground up.
>
>I've only heard of one company where this term was actually used,

They often don't use it because in many states it is illegal to call
yourself an engineer if you aren't degreed as such. I worked for a
firm that had to retitle many of their "sales engineers" when this law
took effect. (I think it's a state-by-state, not federal, mandate, but
I'm not sure.) Personally, I think it's pretentious to call ourselves
engineers --- the electrical engineers I work with typically had an
extra year (sometimes crammed into a four-year degree) of
engineering-specific course work over the normal bachelorette's
degree. I'd hate to be responsible for diluting the name of engineer.
Besides, an awful lot of the population hasn't figured out what a
technical writer is yet --- don't confuse them with other titles till
they figure the first one out!

Since I got sucked into this thread and you've put up with me so far,
here's my getting started story (run violins):

I started college as a journalism major, then discovered there was no
way I would make it in the real world with my classmates. They would
scramble all over each other for the next big student senate story,
and I figured I would get trambled on (lack of confidence was also a
problem for me then). I then floated through a couple of majors, and
finally dropped out.

I worked as a bank teller for a few years. At some point, I found out
about technical writing and it seemed to fit my interests. I went to a
job agency and meekly said, "I know this sounds weird, but I want to
get into technical writing, but I only have the skills to be a
secretary." Not a week later, she got a call from an employer who said
"I know this sounds weird, but we need a 1/2 time secretary and 1/2
time technical writer, and only have the budget for a secretary." He
turned out to be the best boss I've ever had.

Yes, it sucks that this employer (not my boss) viewed technical
writers and secretaries as interchangeable. However, it gave me a
fantastic learning opportunity. I filed catalogs and learned about
electronic components. I typed repair reports and learned why
customers returned products. I did minor changes to drawings and
learned how to read a mechanical drawing and know the basics of
electrical schematics. I worked closely with engineers and befriended
them. I insistently asked them questions (may the first engineer that
had to explain PID control loops to me without resorting to calculus
have much bliss!!!). I also went back to school and got an English
degree, supplemented with engineering courses. I finally learned about
STC and learned a wealth of knowledge through them. I eventually
transferred my secretarial responsibilities to someone else.

I now have my own company and write for a variety of firms. I'm still
learning constantly, though my basic skills are MUCH better than in
those early days.

Regards,

Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000