Re: Getting started in tech writing

Subject: Re: Getting started in tech writing
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:18:15 -0400

Richard Cook wrote:

>I have an engineering degree and was doing tech writing in an
>engineering documentation group for three years before I even thought
of
>using the term Technical Writer to refer to my occupation. Everybody
>else called themselves engineers, but I thought TW was more descriptive
>in social as well as professional situations.

Well, without opening the "what do we call ourselves" wars again, I have
often thought that an appropriate title for many of us is "documentation
engineer" - especially if we are designing docs from the ground up.

I've only heard of one company where this term was actually used,
however. I guess most companies are afraid that if your title is
"documentation engineer", they will have to pay you like an engineer.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=