Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing
From: "Collins, Darren DA" <Collins -dot- Darren -dot- DA -at- BHP -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:22:32 +1000

(snip)

Not surprisingly, but perhaps contrary to the prejudices of many people
on this list, most /*good*/ programmers are excellent writers, at least
when they put their minds to it. Unfortunately, most programmers are in
the bad-to-mediocre range, both as programmers and writers.

Of course, tech writers do many other kinds of writing for which there
is no analogy in programming.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Computer Consulting Services -- http://www.cti-pro.com

Truer words were never spoken. You just have to read the comments in
some of the code I've worked on to see how poorly programmers regarded
as "average" express themselves. I don't know why, but I also find that
among all but the best programmers terrible spelling seems to be an
occupational prerequisite.

Darren Collins,
Computer Engineer, Blast Furnaces
BHP Port Kembla, Australia