Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing
From: "Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:47:31 -0400

Collins, Darren DA wrote:

> I don't know why, but I also find that
> among all but the best programmers terrible spelling seems to be an
> occupational prerequisite.

Two possible explanations.
(1) One of the things that makes the best programmers best is their
attention to detail and their passion for correctness. (Perfectionism
and its well-known side-effects are a common downside of being a good
programmer).

(2) A lot of spelling errors in program comments are probably typos.
Many programmers are lousy typists. The compiler will of course catch
spelling errors in the program itself, but it ignores comments.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Computer Consulting Services -- http://www.cti-pro.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=