FW: Programming vs. Technical Writing

Subject: FW: Programming vs. Technical Writing
From: "Collins, Darren DA" <Collins -dot- Darren -dot- DA -at- BHP -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:11:11 +1000

(ranting back at you, with tongue firmly in cheek)

Hmmm, I can see the blurb on the software packaging now...

Minimum system requirements:
IBM-XT compatible or higher
MS-DOS 1.0 or higher
64 Kb RAM
360 Kb 5 1/4" floppy disk drive
CGA graphics card

Features:
Colour, 320x160 pixel editing
Spell checking
Online help
Actual boldface, underlined and italicised text on-screen
Innovative use of colour to indicate super- and sub-script etc.
Full 80-character wide display
Function key support
Support for over 4 different dot matrix printer brands

Seriously, I don't think anyone would buy the above product nowadays. I
don't even think anyone would download it if it was freeware. People
expect mouse support, support for more than just a handful of printers,
graphical user interfaces, support for graphics, different font
families, styles, sizes, colour, spacing etc, decent control over
headers, footers, pagination, formatting, diagram labelling, tables,
references, footnotes, etc, cut and paste between applications,
multi-tasking, etc. The list is a long one.

Funnily enough, I had a C64 and I also had that program. My friends
couldn't believe how advanced it was, but they thought it was way too
complicated and that most people wouldn't even use many of the features.
I remember its graphical display made it much slower on screen updates
than text-mode word processors, too.

These advances come at a cost, and that is system resources. You don't
have to pay the price, but you won't get the improvements if you don't.
Don't forget that a C64 with printer, monitor and disk drive cost over
$1,000 back then (at least, here in Australia). That's not too far off
what you could pay for a second-hand PC nowadays with enough RAM and
disk space to run Word adequately, so I don't think the hardware
resource argument is an issue.

On a side note, I think some people on this thread may be misinformed
about the subtleties of programming. Yes, I could spend a day or two
optimising a funtion so that it runs 20% faster or takes up 20% less
space (I've done it many times before!), but why add that to the
development cost if that function is rarely used or if it's fast enough
and small enough already? Optimised code becomes hardware-dependant and
harder to maintain in the future. Maybe Microsoft could spend the time
to make Word twice as fast, half the size, and with military-grade
reliability, but then everyone would complain that they need a
particular graphics card or processor to run it, and that it costs over
$2,000, and that everything in it is Americanised, and that it won't
read their WordPerfect files, and that they really liked that paper clip
thing it had in the good old days.

I'm not slanging off at you, just venting my Programmer's Frustration.
Too many people spend too much time worrying about things that don't
matter.

Regards,
Darren Collins
Computer Engineer, Blast Furnaces