Types of TWs (Was Certification...)

Subject: Types of TWs (Was Certification...)
From: Marie McHarry <Mmcharry -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:27:57 EDT

In a message dated 98-08-10 11:01:55 EDT, janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM writes:

<< Certification will never work if we have only one designation:
"Technical Writer." There are too many types of writers/industries
(software, online help, hardware, medical, proposal, high-tech
marketing). To lump all these types of writers together and come up with
a common set of skills would be meaningless. >>

I'm glad Jane stated this. Having been a lurker on this list for about 10
days, I feel that I've stepped into the wrong pew. Since I first took up
desktop publishing (including writing & editing) more than 10 years ago, I've
considered myself a technical writer. Now I mostly do writing and editing in
the following fields: engineering, nuclear, geological, and medical. I've also
written a couple of manuals for electronic products. This list appears to be
geared solely to documentation of computer software and hardware. Is this what
most people think of when they think of technical writing?

The other thing that puzzles me is the emphasis on knowing a particular
desktop publishing. To me that seems like just one of the tools. I barely knew
how to turn a computer on when I learned how to use Interleaf--it was far more
important that I knew how to write well, and learning Interleaf was not a
major hurdle. I can believe that HR types are more interested in what
applications a candidate can use than in how well they can write, as the first
can be much more easily assessed. But am I missing something here?

Anyway, if anyone can suggest a different list devoted to writing on technical
or scientific topics, I would be grateful. And now I return to my den.

Thanks,
Marie McHarry
mailto: Mmcharry -at- aol -dot- com
Greenview, IL USA