FW: Documentation viewed in browser

Subject: FW: Documentation viewed in browser
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:59:09 -0700

Andrea Porter wrote:
> interested in finding out what tool/s Microsoft uses to
> create doc that is viewed in a browser. A specific example
> is the doc set for SiteServer 3.0 --
> each page is a separate HTML file, and the display
> consists of 3 frames (the top frame is a title bar, the left frame
> contains tabs for TOC, Index, and Search, and the right frame
> contains the info). There are no .chm files on this CD; only 4000+
> HTML ...

I can't speak for 3.0, but Site Server 2.0 HTML doc was created using
HTML Transit. The writers used Word docs as the source, sent the docs
to production who prepared the doc (changed " to &quot and others) and
did the actual translation, and a developer provided the ActiveX (I
think it was) control for the TOC. The docs were also printed and bound
in 8.5 x 11 format and distributed separately.

The process was tedious at times, and somewhat painful: late-breaking
changes had to be reviewed and evaluated for input. Depending on the
extent of the update, the changes either had to be made in two places
(the .doc file and the .html file) or made in one place (the .doc file)
and then rerun through HTML Transit.

The pros: the automated nature of the process was excellent; no writer
had to learn HTML (thus could concentrate on content); the TOC control
gave it a dandy look; it was amazingly fast (relatively speaking).

C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Opinions expressed are mine alone
Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=