Re: Documentation viewed in browser

Subject: Re: Documentation viewed in browser
From: Styles & Scribbles <sands -at- DRIZZLE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:20:59 -0700

> interested in finding out what tool/s Microsoft uses to
> create doc that is viewed in a browser. A specific example
> is the doc set for SiteServer 3.0 --
> each page is a separate HTML file, and the display
> consists of 3 frames (the top frame is a title bar, the left frame
> contains tabs for TOC, Index, and Search, and the right frame
> contains the info). There are no .chm files on this CD; only 4000+
> HTML ...

Microsoft's SiteServer UE (User Education) team uses Word, then,
during the production phase, runs the files through a "conversion"
process: macros, Spider, macros, testing. Custom templates are
also used.

>The process was tedious at times, and somewhat painful: late-breaking
>changes had to be reviewed and evaluated for input. Depending on the
>extent of the update, the changes either had to be made in two places
>(the .doc file and the .html file) or made in one place (the .doc file)
>and then rerun [through HTML Transit].

I agree, the process was very tedious. The permanent and contract staff
put in many long hours working on the project! I remember those
weekends and nights. When I left the team, the process had gotten much
smoother, though still had some bumps.

-Tif

S t y l e s & S c r i b b l e s
http://www.sands.seattle.wa.us