Re: Defining Your Tasks

Subject: Re: Defining Your Tasks
From: Hilda Alvarez-Strang <HAlvarez -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:02:40 -0700

Suzette Seveny wrote:

> I don't approach tasks from the point of view of what the user "wants" > to
> do, but rather what the user "will" do, based on the designed
> functionality.

Well, I approach end user manuals not with the idea of *what the user
wants to do*, but with the idea of *what the user can do*.

I explain the functionality of each component of the product and I give
them step-by-step instructions where applicable. Sometimes the users
don't know they want to do something until they know it can be done.

As far as how do Idocument a product that doesn't exist. I work with
the developer - but I try to get at least a working version of the
product so that I can get in there and play. Ideally I would get it in
the QA phase, but that rarely happens.