Re: Defining Your Tasks

Subject: Re: Defining Your Tasks
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:51:29 -0400

Whenever I have the opportunity, I prefer to start a documentation project
from the Business or Functional specs phase. The following explains my
view of the effects of documentation, when started in different phases:

Functional Specifications phase- documentation can clarify procedures and
pollicies, identify unreliable elements and increase chances for user
satisfaction.

Product Design/Coding phase - documentation can expose bugs and errors,
suggest more efficient design, get designers to make early decisions.

Distribution and Use phase - documentor is more or less stuck with the
system. Documentation can help users adapt and accept, warn against bugs
and disclaim liability.

When I was contracting, this was the rationale presented to clients in my
original proposal. In my current job (new tech writing position) I
presented this rationale to my company, and we have developed a process for
including documentation on the project team at the very beginning, with
efforts starting at the Functional Specs phase. A bit tricky the first
time a tech writer starts here, but oh so much opportunity to document it
right, and to influence the development of the system.

Just my opinion.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com