'directions below' or 'below directions'? -Reply

Subject: 'directions below' or 'below directions'? -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:13:24 -0400

Gina wrote: (with liberal snipping)

follow the *below directions*.

follow the *directions below*.

I thought we weren't supposed to end sentences with a preposition, yet I've had two co-workers opt for the latter. Any ideas?

In this case, Gina, I would say "throw that grammar rule out the window", and use a colon at the end. Then it isn't a sentence, so grammar be damned! <G>
I think that if you read it for your self, "follow below directions" sound like you're telling them to do somehting outlined *below the directions*, and "follow the below directions" sounds like improper english, whereas "follow the directions below" or "follow directions below" not only makes the meaning more clear, but it sounds better too.

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association