Re: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?

Subject: Re: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?
From: "Marilyn Baldwin (mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)" <Marilyn_Baldwin -at- CAPGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:16:13 -0700

Gina -

There are only a few grammatical gaffes that cause me to mount my soapbox.
They include:

- the use of "people that..." instead of "people who..." - e.g., "Be
sure to ask the people that are most familiar with the system to give
you feedback about the changes." People are humans, not things. I
hear this all the time now, but it seems a fairly recent phenomenon.
- the use of "myself" instead of "me" - e.g., "If you have any
questions, please don't hesitate to ask John or myself after the
presentation." I think this began as a way of trying to sound humble,
as if "me" were just too assertive, too in-your-face, too egotistical.
Instead, it just sounds stupid. If John weren't there, would these
people really say, "Don't hesitate to ask myself any questions" ? I
think not (I HOPE not).
- the use of "below" instead of "following" - e.g., "Please refer to the
below diagram of the network." Like David Dvorkin, I find this grates
terribly on my ears. It's just as easy to say, "Please refer to the
following diagram..." or "Please refer to Diagram 12" or to just start
a new sentence/paragraph that says, "This diagram shows the network
configuration:" - followed immediately by the diagram. As we
repaginate due to additions or changes, and as we develop more
documentation on the web/intranet, references to "above" (rather than
"preceding") and "below" (rather than "following") can become less and
less helpful. In the case of directions (your example), I'd opt for
saying simply, "Follow these directions to (do whatever it is):" and
then list the directions in your usual way.

Anyhow, those are my three cents' worth.

- Marilyn Baldwin (mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)

From: Gina Hertel

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?

Which one is it?
If you wish to see a listing of all Destinations and their properties,
follow the *below directions*.
If you wish to see a listing of all Destinations and their properties,
follow the *directions below*.
I thought we weren't supposed to end sentences with a preposition, yet I've
had two co-workers opt for the latter. Any ideas?

Gina Hertel
Manager, Technical Communications
Alpha Technologies, Inc.
ghertel -at- alpha88 -dot- com