ANSI and jobs

Subject: ANSI and jobs
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 13:42:23 -0700

A few days back a poster was asking how to show show micro (mu), as in
microliter, microprocessor, etc. The poster was (justifiably)
concerned that if ANSI code (0181) was used, the audience might see
"garbage."
So I said to myself, "Self," I said, "you have lots of email and
access to Windows and UNIX boxes - find out what understands ANSI
codes and what does not." Turns out that MOST of the servers I tested
read the ANSI "OK." The only consistent failure I encountered revolved
around Lotus Notes.

MS Exchange, Notepad, vi, Geocities, Yahoo, Juno, and Netscape all
managed to accommodate µ (Alt 0181) and ¦ (Alt 181) as mu and pipe
symbols. The exercise proves there ARE destinations (and sources, too)
that choke on ANSI code (specifically Lotus Notes), but I am
encouraged that MOST (ASCII) text editors /can/ successfully deal with
ANSI code.
(I'd like to know if your email server and utility handled the special
characters in the paragraph beginning "MS Exchange, ...")

(By the way, this file started in Word 97, was pasted into Notepad,
then dumped into Yahoo. The µ and ¦ made the trip withouyt a hitch.)

On to "jobs"

I'm curious to know if any of you received unsolicited email from one
or more agencies stating they found your resume on the 'Net and added
it to a database. Since getting it INTO databases is one of the
reason's I put it on the 'Net in the first place, that's fine with me,
but the sudden flurry of interest makes me wonder if I am alone.

Please reply to katav -at- yahoo -dot- com (vs. the list) - if there is
interest, I'll summarize.

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}