Re: Creating and editing .gif technical drawings for Web

Subject: Re: Creating and editing .gif technical drawings for Web
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:43:51 -0400

Adobe Illustrator works well for creating detailed illustrations -- it was recommended to me (a technical writer) by technical illustrators with whom I've worked.

Illustrator does export to GIF but you lose some resolution. I don't know how it compares to Visio or other tools for final display quality.

Scott

Walter Hanig wrote:

> You'll want a vector-based application that can save to GIF. Or develop the drawings in a vector-based application and use a converter that can input the vector format and output GIF. Visio is very easy to use and generally has enough flexibility. Also, it has "canned" shapes. If you have the time, Designer (Micrografx) is a superb technical drawing package. There's also Adobe Illustrator, but I have no first-hand experience with it.
>
> Walter
>
> At 10:26 AM 7/8/98 -0400, Suzanne Pyle wrote:
> >I'm looking for some recommendations on drawing programs to use to create
> >and edit technical drawings that are saved in .gif format. I'm creating
> >drawings that represent a process or flow, and include computer hardware
> >clipart with text, arrows, the whole shabang. But I'm a bit limited I'm
> >afraid. Powerpoint 97 drawings don't really convert well to .gif when I
> >bring them into Paint Shop Pro. I was thinking of getting Corel Draw. Can
> >you recommend other programs, or ways to develop nice technical drawings in
> >a format to be viewed on the Web?
> >
> >Suzanne
>
> Walter Hanig
>
> NetManage, Inc.
> 12651 High Bluff Drive
> San Diego, CA 92130, USA
>
> Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
> e-mail: walter -dot- hanig -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- rice -dot- edu
> Blood Type: O+

begin:          vcard
fn:             Scott Wahl
n:              Wahl;Scott
org:            Bridgewater Systems
adr:            555 Legget Dr.  Suite 800;;;Kanata;ON;K2K 2X3;CANADA
email;internet: swahl -at- bridgewatersys -dot- com
title:          Customer Documentation and Training
tel;work:       1-613-591-6655
tel;fax:        1-613-591-6656
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE