Re: Question: Context Help for Java Apps

Subject: Re: Question: Context Help for Java Apps
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:02:14 -0400

No, that's not true. We use HTML, and you can definitely enter a URL and
locator in the JAVA code to launch online help to specific location.

This is easy if your product runs as a JAVA applet, since it's already run in
the browser. If your product runs as a JAVA application, it's a bit trickier
-- it requires some work to get the product to launch the browser.

Longer term, you should look into JAVAHelp (http://www.javasoft.com). There is
a beta version now that you can download and play around with -- we've tested
it, and it looks like it will allow you create quite sophisticated online help
using HTML relatively easily.

JAVAHelp is supposed to be released in the fall. It relies on JDK 1.2, which
is also supposed to be released in the fall.

E-mail me offline if you'd like more information.

Scott

Kathryn Marshall wrote:

> We are developing an application in Java. We're using WinHelp to create
> online help, but the programmer tells me that context-sensitive help is
> not possible because of the limitations of Java. Is this true? Something
> about that just doesn't sound right.
>
> Anyone out there developing applications and online help in Java?
>
> TIA,
> Kathy Marshall
> ModaCAD, Inc.
> Culver City, CA

begin:          vcard
fn:             Scott Wahl
n:              Wahl;Scott
org:            Bridgewater Systems
adr:            555 Legget Dr.  Suite 800;;;Kanata;ON;K2K 2X3;CANADA
email;internet: swahl -at- bridgewatersys -dot- com
title:          Customer Documentation and Training
tel;work:       1-613-591-6655
tel;fax:        1-613-591-6656
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE