Chunking is not chunking, it is proximity (see Hofstadter)

Subject: Chunking is not chunking, it is proximity (see Hofstadter)
From: Yves François Jeaurond <jingting -at- MAGMA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 06:59:55 PDT

Dear list:

Chunking has been around at least since Douglas Hofstadter
used it to great effect in his Pulitzer prize-winning
"Gôdel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid"
(Basic Books, 1979)--still one of my favourite
magnum-opiums (sic, <grin>).

GEB/EGB, p. 286: "In the 1940's, the Dutch psychologist
Adriaan de Groot made studies of how chess novices
and chess masters perceive a chess situation. Put in
their starkest terms, his reults imply that chess masters
perceive the distribution of pieces in chunks. (etc. etc.)"

Btw, the principle you refer to is " p r o x i m i t y ",
not chunking. There is a wonderful, short synopsis of proximity
(and other design principles--Contrast, Repetition, Alignment & P.
<grin> quick, can you say acronym?) in Robin Williams'
"The Non-Designer's Design Book" (Peachpit Press, 1995).

HTH.

Yves Jeaurond
jingting -at- magma -dot- ca