Re: Workmanship

Subject: Re: Workmanship
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 04:51:19 -0700

True story -- I was poking around a Fortune 200's intranet the other
day and came across something that /could have been done better./ Not
a major thing, but still ...
Looking at the source file I found a name not credited on the page
and correctly surmised that this was the person who did the work.
Sent the person a private email - a *'tween thee and me* post - with
the comment and corrective suggestion (the suggestion is at least as
important as the complaint). The response was quick: Yes, the person
did author the page; yes, my comment was appropriate; and thanks for
not making the comment a metter of public record.
Friend for life? Probably not, but I needed something from the
intranet gurus and this person helped me acquire it. Now the page
looks better -- it really WAS a small thing -- and I have the file I
wanted -- a win-win situation.
Getting to a writer or at least a pubs group is not all that
difficult and THAT, in my not-at-all-humble opinion, is where
criticisms -- complete with corrective options -- should be directed
... not at the company level. No pubs group? Then the group
responsible for the document (e.g. Marketing), but again, gentle,
specific criticism with corrective options.
Guess I'm just getting old. Then, as the sig states ...
==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}