Re: Graphics In Word

Subject: Re: Graphics In Word
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:20:01 -0700

Marie C. Paretti wrote:
> Do those of you who use Word regularly always put imported graphics in
> text boxes to insure that they'll move around correctly? Or are text
> boxes only for certain cases?
> If a text boxes isn't the most reliable method for inserting imported
> graphics, what is?

With the proviso that I mainly use pre-Word 97 versions, the answer is
that the best way to include an imported graphic is to give it its own
paragraph (make sure the line spacing is not "exactly" anything).
Just insert the picture--no text box or frame is needed, unless you want
to flow text around the illustration. The graphic will stay put in
relation to the preceeding and following paragraphs.

And when you insert, I recommend that "Link to File" be checked and
"Save with document" be unchecked. This keeps the host document from
balloning in size, and allows you to have multiple links (from multiple
docs if you want) to the graphics file. Then if you ever need to change
the graphic, you only need to change it once, and update the fields (the
links) in the document file(s).

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect