Re: PB&J--not just for lunch anymore (was: Getting Experience--was Volunteer TW Services) -Reply

Subject: Re: PB&J--not just for lunch anymore (was: Getting Experience--was Volunteer TW Services) -Reply
From: Chris Wilcox <Clwilcox -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:41:18 -0600

__________Snip______________
I agree, Deborah, it is a good exercise that the students will remember,
=
*but* (like a certain Physics discussion) I believe it=27s unrealistic.
__________End Snip______________
Lisa,
I don't think it's unrealistic at all. It depends on the intent of the
exercise. I got my first tech writing job from writing on the PB&J
topic. The first leg of the interview was a 60-minute test with that
topic precisely, with 10 minutes prior to the timed portion which the
candidate could use to ask questions. The interviewing manager wanted
to see what kinds of questions we would ask about who the audience was
and what assumptions we could make about their skill level. The
exercise proved to be successful, because she was able to weed out the
candidates who made too many assumptions or didn't preface the
assignment with the kinds of questions that all writers should be asking
before they create a document.

Like Deborah, I also used the exercise in a class, but it was in a
corporate setting, and directed at our Production Training staff for not
only writing instructions, but also at giving verbal instructions to new
employees. It's been really successful. For our overseas facilities,
the same exercise is implemented with food appropriate to their culture.

Chris Wilcox
MCMS, Inc.