Re: Unpaid?

Subject: Re: Unpaid?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:30:44 -0600

Unpaid? May as well be.

Anonymous writes:

> I have worked for my present company for about 10 months. I do not
> have a technical writing degree, but I do have a college degree
> (B.A.,liberal arts). I work at home and thus do not have direct
> supervision (the home office is in another state). I live in
> Washington Sate. I write internal end user documentation (software).
> This includes using Word and FrontPage to create printed and
> intranet/Web docs. I make $10 an hour. Am I underpaid?

If you were working onsite using the employer's resources with benefits, you
would be underpaid (unless, maybe, it were clearly defined as a training
position with fewer responsibilities and a smaller project load). If you are
working for this wage and paying for your own equipment, software,
electricity, health insurance, and transportation costs, then you are being
robbed--even for an entry-level writer.

Bill Burns
Senior Technical Writer/Technology Consultant
ILE Communications
billdb -at- ile -dot- com