Re: Grammar? YES!

Subject: Re: Grammar? YES!
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:18:56 PDT

Tony Markatos responds to Dan Wise (see Dan's original posting below)

I write procedural infor. for software systems. I say that there are a
lot of grammar rules that can be disregarded in creating such. I base
my case on the following:

1.) I write very good procedures. In fact, compared to other writers
whose work I have been exposed to, I write excellent procedures. (Note:
I am exceptionally strong in end user task analysis)

2.) I know little about grammar (engineer by training). I can go to
any public library and check-out a 250 page book on grammar. Of those
250 pages, I know about 75 pages worth. The rest is Greek to me. What
are the contents of those 175 pages? Until I have a need-to-know, I
don't care.

3.) I all the procedure writing that I have done, I can not recall a
single instance in which grammar was an obstacle.

Dan Wise wrote:

Colleagues,

Geoff Hart raised the question of whether there are any grammar "rules"
we can discard with TW/procedures. Like Geoff, I can't think of any.
Whether you are writing narrative, exposition, or imperative
instructions, the same rules apply. Or at least they have in all the 40
years of writing I have done so far.

No, I have not whipped out *kewl* Web pages for clients. Nor have I
experienced the joys and agonies of developing screen-size bites for
on-line help/instruction. My expertise is in paper copies of generally
lengthy documents dealing with scientific and engineering projects. And
I have written reams of engineering and administrative procedures, but
never software operating procedures.

So, within the framework of my personal experience, I have to conclude
that grammar does count if you expect to operate within a frame of
mutual comprehension and understanding.

>Dan Wise
danwise -at- mindspring -dot- com