your experiences using Acrobat Exchange and other Adobe tools

Subject: your experiences using Acrobat Exchange and other Adobe tools
From: "Rothberg, Renee K." <RKRothbe -at- DCSS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:46:48 -0500

Yesterday, I attended an information seminar put on by Adobe. The sessions I
attended were about Acrobat Exchange and Capture. (They also discussed
FrameMaker, but I'm stuck using Word, so I didn't attend that session).
The presenters brought up many uses for Acrobat Exchange besides just
converting manuals to pdf files. For instance, they said that a company
could convert all its internal documents to pdfs, and then be able to use
the full text search capabilities of Acrobat Catalog to search all the
documents. If that's true, that could be a very powerful tool for the
company where I work.
DCSS hires and places computer consultants in several US cities and our
Recruiter handles thousands of resumes each year. According to the Adobe
presenters, if we were to scan the resumes (they become tiffs) and then use
Capture to convert them to text and create pdf files, the Recruiter would be
able to perform searches of all the resumes for various skills, work
experience, etc.
The presenter also showed us forms that are available through the Forms
plug-in. If they work as well as the presenter said, the forms could be very
useful for our MIS Department and perhaps the Recruiter as well.
So my question to the list is--do any of you or your companies use Acrobat
tools for uses other than distributing your manuals in pdfs? If so, how
extensively are they used and are you, managers, and other employees pleased
with Acrobat's capabilities?
Thanks for your input. I'd like to hear from actual Acrobat users rather
than just the Adobe marketing department before I make recommendations to my
company.
If people are interested, I'll summarize the responses.
Renee Rothberg
Digital Consulting & Software Services, Inc. (DCSS)
Sugar Land, Texas
rkrothbe -at- dcss -dot- com