Light at the end of the tunnel

Subject: Light at the end of the tunnel
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:13:40 -0400

Sometimes, when you think you are banging your head against a wall,
something happens that gives a glimmer of hope.

Last night, at about 6pm, I was working with a product manager to get a
document shipped out that evening. We'd worked on almost nothing else for
about 5 days, marketing had committed to get it out, and tempers were
getting stretched.

The product manager and I were in my office, "discussing" the proper way to
phrase a particularly sensitive concept, in that just a minor
misinterpretation of a format example would have meant that input would
have been rejected by our system.

As we were "discussing" how to phrase this concept, one of the company's
lead programmers walked by, so I called him over to find out how he would
interpret the meaning.

After we told him the about the issue, we asked him what he thought would
be the best way to show it in the document.

The first question out of his mouth?

"Who is the intended audience?"

YEEHAAA!!!!

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin