Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours

Subject: Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:33:39 +0200

George,

As it has been noted some time ago on this list, there are about as many
different ideas of what a technical writer is and what to expect from a
technical writer, as there are opportunities for a technical writer, it is
_very_ difficult to set up a "test".

And if it would be reasonable and possible, who should hold the test, and
who should lead the registry? An univeristy? A government office? A
professional organization?

Translation organizations do have the "accreditation". The accreditation is
needed to become a full voting member of the organization. The
accreditation process is essentially a test, to be written in classroom
atmosphere, and corrected by dedicated staff for that particular language
combination.

Getting back to the diverging perceptions of the profession "technical
writer", this may be the cause for any kind of "become a technical writer
in ... hours" schemes. The result may be something like (sorry for the
German; but it cannot be translated so that the finesse can get through)
"For sex Wochen wuste ich nicht wie man Intscheniör schreibt, heute bin ich
einen".

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Phone: +41 1 700 29 21
Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html

>Bob,