Re: quoting salary schedule from STC

Subject: Re: quoting salary schedule from STC
From: "Engstrom, Douglas D." <EngstromDD -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:48:49 -0500

Melissa:

This is written in response to:
>Do many of you quote STC salary schedule when it comes time for
>raise/promotion time?
I took exactly one stab at it, with an employer who requested, prior to
salary setting, that employees furnish "relevant market data" that might
have an impact on their value to the company.

Since I was a fair bit below the average for my experience and location,
I dutifully submitted the salary survey booklet, along with some
calculations that allowed for experience and location. I was somewhat
disappointed when at evaluation time, I hadn't made much progress toward
average.

I brought this up with my boss, who informed me that management had
decided "...the people at the top of the rankings were probably
engineers, so for a non-engineer, you're doing OK."

>If so, are you successful using this tool?
In a way, yes. That was one of several incidents that made me look for
(and find) a better employer.

Though I'm not a great fan of HR departments, one of the ways they do
earn their keep is by doing an honest-to-goodness competitive salary
survey. My experience in smaller companies that don't do this is that
the base-salary setting process is Byzantine, and often inequitable.

Doug Engstrom
engstromdd -at- phibred -dot- com

My opinions only, not those of Pioneer
Hi-Bred International, Inc.