Re: Quoting Salary schedule from STC

Subject: Re: Quoting Salary schedule from STC
From: Locke David <dlocke -at- BINDVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:35:02 -0500

I saw a Source EDP salary survey last year and it was very low.

How many of us really ask for 20% more every time we interview. How many
of us expect a raise that beats inflation every year? The point is that
if we don't ask we won't get it. And, if we don't expect better, we
won't get better.

I remember someone that wanted to hire me, as an entry-level, for 15K. I
said no, because TW was my career not just a job. As a result I worked
at another job, totally unrelated to TW, for 13K, but started as a TW at
more than double that offer.

Had I taken it, my next employer would have went for the low numbers as
well. I would have had to work many more years to get where I am today,
particularly since most recruiters think that a 20% increase is too
much.

David W. Locke