quoting salary schedule from STC

Subject: quoting salary schedule from STC
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:37:26 -0400

Melissa Alton <maalton -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU> wrote:

>Do many of you quote STC salary schedule when it comes time for
>raise/promotion time?
>
>If so, are you successful using this tool?

I looked at it, but didn't use it. For some reason, the Canadian survey
was rather low.

One problem is that the survey has no control over who answers. If, for
example, eager newcomers are most likely to answer the survey, then that
might explain why the figures seemed low.

Another problem, of course, is regional variation.

Finally, in the Vancouver area, at least, there seems a division between
companies who pay on the old scale - the one that has prevailed for
years -
and those who pay writers the same as programmers. The STC survey seemed
geared to the old scale, while my initial offer was geared to the new
one.
If I had used the survey, I would have talked myself into a lower
salary.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"As we pull in tight to shore, this armada bent on rescue,
I could curse the men behind the desks who spend our lives this way,
I never signed on board to save them from this bloody lack of planning,
That strands these fine young men beneath the fires of Calais."
- James Keelaghan